As the head trailer honcho here at Lost in Reviews, I thought I would take a stab at doing a top ten post for the best movie trailers of 2010. These are my top ten, not the Lost in Reviews team as a collective. These are presented in no particular order, and I reserve the right to change the list if there are any stellar trailers that come out by January 1st. I had a little trouble deciding, so there is a top ten and seven honorable mentions.
The Top Ten
1. Legend of the Guardians – This trailer has the combination of beautiful images and choreographing the images with the song, “Kings and Queens” by 30 Seconds to Mars.
2. Inception Trailer 2 – Christopher Nolan’s movie brought the tingles to me when this trailer debuted. I loved every single trailer and teaser that was released, but this trailer is the best of all of them.
3. The Millenium Series Trailers (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest) – It all started with a brilliant teaser trailer and moved into three trailers that had an element of continuity that joined all three trailers (ink, fire, and bugs). Just brilliant.
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 and 2 – Beautiful trailer that shows scenes from both of the last two movies in the Harry Potter series. I do not think the Harry Potter crew can make a bad trailer.
5. Never Let Me Go – This trailer had me on the verge of tears with the beautiful music and tragic story. Somehow I completely missed this in the theatres, but I did manage to read the book.
6. Restless – This would be another trailer that uses a score piece and a song really well, “I’m With You” by The Stills. It showcases the two main actors and their performances really well. I am still really excited to see this movie.
7. 127 Hours Trailer 2 – The first trailer for the movie was an absolute failure, but the second trailer made up for it. The trailer features all of the shooting styles of the movie and gives you a taste for all of the parts of the movie. It also has a great song at the end, “The Funeral” by Band of Horses.
8. Tron: Legacy Trailer 1 – This was the best trailer to come out of all the trailers for Tron: Legacy. It effectively blew me away when the trailer shifts to The Grid, and the Daft Punk score in the trailer is perfect.
9. The Social Network Teasers – These two trailers are real teaser trailers. You do not see any of the movie, but it gets the audience amped to see a real trailer. Bravo, David Fincher, for bringing back the teaser trailer.
10. The Tree of Life – A great score, beautiful cinematography, flowing narration, and great scenes from the movie.
Water for Elephants – This is a long awaited movie, and the trailer did not disappoint. It has a beautiful score behind it that reminds one of the circus. It also features some beautiful scenes from the movie. The horse with Reese is my favorite part.
Toy Story 3 Trailer 1 – This trailer brought back everything that is great about the Toy Story series.
Scott Pilgrim Vs the World – This is the trailer that introduced us to this epic film.
Morning Glory – I really love this trailer. It’s probably just the combination of humor, the actors, and the song. I watched this one many times.
Born to Be Wild 3D – Any trailer that can make me cry deserves a mention.
I Am Number Four Teaser – This is pretty close to a true teaser trailer. You do not get much information, but it peaks your interest. The trailer is put together well with a culmination of a series of scenes that are mixed with a non-vocal song.
Sucker Punch Trailer 1 – This is the first trailer that introduced us to Zack Snyder’s Sucker Punch world. It effectively piqued everyone’s interest in the movie.